Ubuntu Devices Product Manager Richard Collins and Engineering Director Pat McGowan answered questions about the new Aquaris M10 tablet as well as questions on the Ubuntu phone. The interview was hosted by David Planella and Nicholas Skaggs on the Ubuntu on-air website.. An IRC channel was provided for user questions during the broadcast. View the video below.
Yours truly was present during the live broadcast and asked a couple of questions. My first question was: Will users of the Ubuntu tablet be able to change the desktop environment? The answer was no. The tablet (for now) will only run under the Unity 8 environment. My second question was: Will GUFW firewall be available for install on the tablet? The answer was yes, it will be possible. Another important point is that this tablet can be used as a PC, by connecting wireless keyboard and mouse.
Here are a few specs for the new Aquaris M10 tablet:
- 10.1 inch multi-touch screen
- MediaTek Quad Core MT8163A processor up to 1.5GHz
- High capacity Li-Po battery (7280mAh)
- Full HD (1080p) camera for super-sharp video recording
- 2GB RAM and 16GB internal memory
- MicroSD slot for extra storage (up to 64GB)
- 8 megapixel rear camera with autofocus and 5 megapixel front camera
- Frontal speakers
- Micro HDMI slot
- Dimensions: 246 x 171 x 8.2mm
- Lightweight at only 470g
In early March, the tablet will only be available online at the BQ store. Discussions are ongoing with other distributors worldwide to make the product more available. For more info on this tablet, visit the the Ubuntu website.